Date:      Sat, 20 Jul 1996 19:46:11 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jason Garman <garman@phs.k12.ar.us>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More results on my problem... (was: Network weirdness?)

On Fri, 19 Jul 1996, Doug White wrote:

> > Routing tables
> >
> > Internet:
> > Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
> > localhost          localhost          UH          0        0       lo0
> > garman-net         jason              UCSc        0        0       eg0
>
> the eg0 could possibly be it.  can you run 'ifconfig eg0' and post the
> output?

Yes, that is my ethernet card:

eg0: flags=863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX> mtu 1500

> Have you tried a different ethernet card, like a cheap NE2000?

I would, if I had any.  The only cards I have are the two 3c505's.
Btw- this card works perfectly in both Windoze and Linux so I doubt its a
bad card...

> > Jul 19 15:55:25 jason /kernel: arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo for
> >                                192.168.1.1
>
> This points to a routing problem.

This only happens when I set up the route using the command
`route add 192.168.1.0 192.168.1.1'.

When I use that statement, I can't ping _any_ hosts on the network.  They
give me a message like the one up above.  In fact-- using that statement,
the FreeBSD machine doesn't even _attempt_ to arp for anyone's address on
the network, just blindly throwing packets out the interface which
obviously nobody responds to.  The ethernet address of the FreeBSD box
doesn't even appear in the arp cache.

When I do `route add -net 192.168.1.0 -interface 192.168.1.1' this does
not appear.  Using this, pinging hosts on the network works, and the
FreeBSD box correctly arps for their addresses.  But it still does not
respond to broadcast packets such as the arp broadcasts the Windows
machine sends out when it starts up.

> I don't think Windoze machines ping.  Do they?

Yes, they do.  Although it's probably not technically `legal', I tried
telnetting to the broadcast address and watched Trumpet's log window.  I
could see the packet go out of the Windows machine's interface, but
couldn't see any evidence of it in my tcpdump on the FreeBSD machine.
Same with the arp broadcasts earlier....

--
Jason Garman                             http://www.nesc.k12.ar.us/~garman/
Student, Eleanor Roosevelt High School                 garman@phs.k12.ar.us