Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 01:28:47 +0200
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        Alan Cox <alc@cs.rice.edu>
Cc:        Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>, Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>, scrappy@hub.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, alc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.2-STABLE hangs after several hours ...

On Tue, Aug 24, 1999 at 03:31:16PM -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 24, 1999 at 10:07:23PM +0300, Adrian Penisoara wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > I also went to update my kernel yesterday and stumbled across what
> > > appears to be the same problems as yours, hanging processes until the
> > > entire system becomes unusable...  And here is what i came up with:
> >
> >  It seems that I've been bitten by the same bug (the machine suddenly
> > freezes after some 2-3 hours); I'm checking out right now the submitted
> > patch and I'll let you know (probably tomorrow) how it works for me...
> >

> Please check if you have a process hung in "objtrm".  Juergen did.
> If so, this is the same bug reported in the "mSQL getting stuck
> in objtrm state" thread, and it has nothing to do with the changes
> below.  (See my earlier message on this subject to the -STABLE list.)

Well it still has `something' to do with those changes as all stable
kernels from before that commit (Jul 28) never showed the bug (at least
for me), and everything after that date did...  Now as to WHY this
is so, well, *shrug*.  especially as the fixed atomic.h does indeed
appear to be the `real' fix for it...

 Regards,
--
Juergen Lock <nox.foo@jelal.kn-bremen.de>