Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 18:52:40 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        eivind@yes.no, fpawlak@execpc.com, drifter@stratos.net
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does it's true?

My hidden microphone recorded  (drifter@stratos.net) saying:
% 	People kill because they are bad, not because of people like
% Charlton Heston talking about gun rights all of the time.  I am not
% a member of the NRA, and don't even own a firearm.  (The only time I
% ever shot off one was a time I went skeet shooting -- hit the first
% clay pigeon and then went 0 for 29!)  But I am sick and tired of them
% being blamed for crimes committed by murderers who lack decency and
% respect for human life.

People kill mostly because their mothers and fathers didn't teach them it is
WRONG.  We could argue about WHY their mothers and fathers failed to teach
them the most important lesson life has to offer, but that is another
discussion.

% 	I am not an expert on gun history, but I believe gun laws were
% more lax in the earlier part of the century (please correct me if I am
% wrong), yet violence was also not as rampant.  Maybe because people
% these days care less and less about right and wrong?

You'd certainly think so, wouldn't you?  Actually, the murder rate in the
United States has been constant (deaths per thousand caused by murder) since
the Census Bureau first starting tracking such things, in the 1890-1900
decade.  It's declined a tiny bit since the high in the 1910-1920 Census, but
by only about 0.1%.

% > Eivind, who comes from the country in the world with the second
% > highest count of guns per person and with 1 killing per 100,000
% > citizens per year.
%
% 	There. Now we've covered gun control, the death penalty, and
% abortion.  Sweat shops anybody :)

And, since you brought up the legalize murder of unborn infants, suddenly the
murder rate in Norway is MUCH HIGHER than that in the United States.
Remember, there are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.