Date:      Sun, 21 Jul 1996 05:15:11 +0200
From:      "Robert L. Urban" <urban@rto.dec.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        urban@rto.dec.com
Subject:   floppy install of 2.2-960612-SNAP

Hello all,

It's 5:00 am and I just got done writing the 24 floopies for the install
-- I'm installing a laptop and none of my PCMCIA cards are supported
by PAO.

The INSTALL.TXT is not very clear _what_ needs to be on the floppies
and how it needs to be organized. I packed as much as I could onto
each floppy (as the guide recommends) such that files from more that
on distribution were mixed on one floppy, for example writing the last
4 bin chunks and the first 3 des, and so on.  Is this a problem?

also, on the alternate virtual terminal, I saw debug messages
referring to 'mumble.inf'.  I did _not_ copy these onto the floppies,
as they were not mentioned in INSTALL.TXT.

The following is the layout of my floppies, where the stuff to the left of
the colon is the label, and to the right are the chunk names (in their
respective dist subdirectories):

bin 0:bin.aa bin.ab bin.ac bin.ad bin.ae
bin 1:bin.af bin.ag bin.ah bin.ai bin.aj
bin 2:bin.ak bin.al bin.am bin.an bin.ao
bin 3:bin.ap bin.aq bin.ar bin.as bin.at
bin 4:bin.au bin.av bin.aw bin.ax bin.ay
bin 5:bin.az bin.ba bin.bb bin.bc bin.bd
bin 6:bin.be bin.bf bin.bg bin.bh bin.bi
bin 7:bin.bj bin.bk bin.bl bin.bm bin.bn
bin 8:bin.bo bin.bp bin.bq bin.br bin.bs
bin 9:bin.bt bin.bu bin.bv bin.bw bin.bx
bin 10:bin.by bin.bz bin.ca bin.cb bin.cc
bin 11:bin.cd bin.ce bin.cf bin.cg bin.ch
bin/des 12:bin.ci bin.cj bin.ck bin.cl des.aa des.ab krb.aa
des/dict 13:krb.ab krb.ac sebones.aa ssecure.aa ssecure.ab dict.aa
dict/doc 14:dict.ab dict.ac dict.ad dict.ae dict.af
doc 15:doc.aa doc.ab doc.ac doc.ad doc.ae
doc/info/manpages 16:doc.af doc.ag doc.ah info.aa info.ab manpages.aa
manpages 17:manpages.ab manpages.ac manpages.ad manpages.ae manpages.af
manpages 18:manpages.ag manpages.ah manpages.ai manpages.aj manpages.ak
manpages/proflibs/src 19:manpages.al manpages.am proflibs.aa proflibs.ab proflibs.ac proflibs.ad
src 20:ssys.aa ssys.ab ssys.ac ssys.ad ssys.ae
src 21:ssys.af ssys.ag ssys.ah ssys.ai ssys.aj
src 22:ssys.ak ssys.al ssys.am ssys.an ssys.ao
src 23:ssys.ap ssys.aq ssys.ar ssys.as ssys.at ssys.au sbase.aa
src 24:sbin.aa sbin.ab sbin.ac sinclude.aa

So, anyone have an idea?

thanks,

Rob Urban, Munich, Germany