Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2000 11:38:30 -0800
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Caleb Land <bokonon@rochester.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gawk and Guile port problems

On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 07:39:49PM -0500, Caleb Land wrote:
> Hello,
> 	I don't know exactly where to send this message.  I was
> debating sending it to freebsd-ports, but wasn't sure so decided to
> send it to the general list in hopes of either being told where to
> forward it to, or having my question answered.
>
> 	I recently noticed that I had multiple versions of Guile
> installed on my box (FreeBSD 4.1.1 Stable Fri. Oct 27) so I
> uninstalled them both, and tried to install the port again.  During
> the compilation gawk core dumps and the process halts.  After a while
> of trying to figure out what was causing it, I noticed that Guile
> checks for multiple versions of awk (Gawk, plain ol' awk, nawk,
> mawk).  I deinstalled gawk (so that I only had plain awk) and was
> successful in compiling and installing the port.
>
> 	I don't know if gawk worked before when trying to compile
> guile because I don't know if I had it installed before trying to
> compile guile for the first time.  If someone could verify whether
> this is a problem with their machine and not just mine I can make a
> patch so that guile doesn't check for gawk in the ports collection.
>
> 	This is all with the latest versions of guile and gawk.

According to the port,

  $ more /usr/ports/lang/gawk/pkg-descr
  This is GNU Awk 3.0.4....
  .
  .
  .

But the gawk in the base FreeBSD system (yes, the 'awk' in FreeBSD is
really gawk) is,

  $ awk --version
  GNU Awk 3.0.4
  .
  .
  .

The same.

The gawk port is only really needed if you are using an ancient
(gawk 3.0.4 was released June of 1999) FreeBSD version and need to
upgrade gawk. At least, that is my impression of what it is there
for.