Date:      Sun, 21 Jul 1996 01:51:41 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@gaia.coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        jhay@mikom.csir.co.za (John Hay)
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, joe@ns.via.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPX?

#define quoting(John Hay)
// > // > I'd really like to be able to gateway TCP/IP to IPX/SPX...
// > //
// > // Ouch.  IPX is such a mess I don't think I'd want to touch it, much less
// > // try to gateway a superior protocol (TCP) to it.
// >
// >   Do you mean that FreeBSD's IPX implementation is a mess or that IPX
// > protocol stack is a mess ?
// >
// >   Hope you mean the first (I feel this too), because IPX is a datagram
// > protocol just as bad as IP in definition.
//
// What except for the one host address don't you like? I would really like
// to know. I plan to do some more work on IPX as soon as I can get the
// SDL RISCom device drivers finished.

// John Hay -- John.Hay@mikom.csir.co.za

  The one host problem is the first to come to my mind.  I'd like also to
play with other frame encapsulations like 802.3 and 802.2, but this would
be just for amusement.  I know there's something else, but I can't remem-
ber what is it.  My production machines run 2.1 which doesn't have IPX,
and my desktop machine doesn't boot 2.2 (don't know why).  This test has
been done on a temporary basis.

  If I remember the problem or find anything else I'll send it to you,
privately.

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br