Date:      Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:36:10 -0300
From:      Alejandro Pulver <alejandro@varnet.biz>
To:        NetAdmin <NetAdmin@upb.ks.ua>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mounting network share problem

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:55:14 +0200
NetAdmin <NetAdmin@upb.ks.ua> wrote:

> Hello, FreeBSD support team,
>
> I have some problems with network configuration in FreeBSD.
> My task is to mount network share on Win2003 server
> (Network with domain) to some folder, for example, /mnt
>
> I wrote:
> # mount_nfs server:share /mnt
>
> and see error:
> [udp] RPC: RPC timeout
>
> But my computer "sees" all computers in domain when ping some of
> them...
>
> --
> Best regards,
>  NetAdmin                          mailto:NetAdmin@upb.ks.ua

Hello,

Windows does not use NFS (natively), but it uses SMB networks (SMB is
the protocol). NFS usually comes with UNIX like systems (Linux, *BSD,
etc.).

The tool (server/client) for interacting with Windows networks is Samba.
It is available in the ports collection as 'net/samba' (version 2) or
'net/samba3' (version 3). The Samba version has nothing to do with the
protocol version, so you can install the one you want. The manual page
samba(7) lists all the client/server tools provided by the Samba
suite. It installs some documentation at '/usr/local/share/doc/samba/'.

For more information about Samba (docs, exmaples, etc.):

http://www.samba.org/

To configure a Samba server there are basic instructions at:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-samba.html

But if you just want to mount a SMB share, you can use the type 'smbfs'
with mount (no port installation required). Alternatively you can use
the client programs that come with Samba.

Exmaple:

mount -t smbfs //user@server/share /mnt
or
mount_smbfs //user@server/share /mnt

See mount_smbfs(8) for more information (IP, WORKGROUP, etc.).

Best Regards,
Ale