Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2000 20:28:04 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: enabling bridge-support in rc.conf?

Boris Staeblow wrote in list.freebsd-stable:
 > But why do I have to sysctl at all?

Because that's the way it works.

 > I believe a newbie to Freebsd assumes that the kernel-option BRIDGE
 > should be enought to enable such functionality!

I believe a newbie should read the bridge(4) manpage, and it
states that you have to enable the feature using sysctl.
It's pretty clear, IMO.

Never assume anything.  Read the docs.

 > Therefore net.link.ether.bridge should be 1 by default - or at least selectable
 > by rc.conf. (like it is done for IP Forwarding)

No, it should not be 1 by default.  The kernel option rather
_enables_ support for bridging, but it is _not_ supposed to
turn bridging on automatically.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)