Date:      Sun, 21 Jul 1996 02:05:20 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        Steven Grupsmith <grup@bigdog.fred.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP in sysinstall

Steven Grupsmith wrote:

> I am trying to install FreeBSD Release 2.1.5 using the PPP installation.
> I have a 28.8 internal modem on Com 4 , IRQ 3, port 2e8.  When I run the
> config program the new kernel recognizes the modem on Com 4.  However,
> when I get to the part of the FTP installation where I'm using PPP on Com
> 4, I can't communicate with the modem with 'at' commands or to dial.
> I've tried going into term, starting packet mode, changing the baud rate
> from 115200 to 57600 to 38400.  Nothing I've tried works.  What is the
> procedure at this part of the installation?  The online help and
> documentation for the PPP portion of the installation is extremely limited.
> Thanks

Is IRQ3 being used on another port??
Sharing IRQ's is risky at best! If usable at all.

IRQ 3 is normally used with 2f8, sio1 (Dos com2)

If you have a serial card, It's more then likly using 3f8/IRQ4 for
sio0 (Dos com1), 2f8/IRQ3 for sio1 (dos com2)..
Disable the port at 2f8/IRQ3 on your serial card and setup your
modem for 2f8/IRQ3 (Dos com2) Then access it via /dev/cuaa1

You'll have much more happiness!

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848