Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 2008 16:21:38 -0500
From:      Rory Arms <rorya+freebsd.org@TrueStep.com>
To:        Barbara <barbara.xxx1975@libero.it>
Cc:        Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu>, FreeBSD-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 6.4-RC2 crashes after a few minutes of uptime

On 2008-11-16, at 7:24 , Barbara wrote:

>> Ok, guess something is amiss with the CD-ROM drive on this notebook,
>> as
> in GNOME, it flashes an icon of a CD on the desktop from time to
>> time, as if
> it has detected a disc in the drive. But of course there
>> is no disc in the
> drive. I believe it did the same with 6.3 though,
>> but as said before didn't
> ever panic due to this issue.
>>
>> So, some anecdotal info, after running RC2 for
> a few days now. It
>> seems the pattern is that it seems to always panic a few
> minutes after
>> a first cold boot, but then seems to remain stable after the
> second
>> boot. Odd, as with 6.3 this didn't happen. So, I happened to catch
>> panic while working in the syscons console after one of these cold
>
>> boots. As far as I can tell,  the panic does have something to do
>> with
>> the
> the CD-ROM drive, as right after I saw this message on the
>> console, it
> immediately paniced:
>>
>> acd0: WARNING - PREVENT_ALLOW read data overrun 18>0
>>

>> and then the panic is as follows:
>>
>> kernel trap 12 with interrupts disabled
>>

>> Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
>> fault virtual address			= 0x78
>
>> fault code				= supervisor read, page not present
>> instruction pointer			=
> 0x20:0xc06d39b9
>> stack pointer				= 0x28:0xca865c10
>> frame pointer				= 0x28:
> 0xca865c14
>> code segment				= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>> 					= DPL 0,
> pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
>> processor eflags			= resume, IOPL = 0
>> current process
> 			= 19 (swi6: task queue)
>> trap number				= 12
>> panic: page fault
>> Uptime:
> 1h9m7s
>> Physical memory: 179MB
>> Dumping 43MB: 28 12
>> Dump complete
>
> Hi Rory,
>
> did you see my replies or are you missing them for any reason?

Yes, I have seen your replies. I must have missed the PR you mentioned
last time, sorry.

> Your panics and
> some aspects about how they happens look like mine to me, look here:
> http:
> //lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-October/045865.html

Yes, indeed. That looks very similar to the issue I'm running into
with 6.4-RC2 as well. Sounds like it might be a regression in ata(4).
At least you were able to open the core dump. Are you still able to
open core dumps with RC2?