Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 1997 08:39:22 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>, www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Comments on new search page..

> Before raising the bar, we should survey the mirrors and figure
> out how far the bar can be raised before too many drop out.  For
> example, with the mailing list archives approaching 700
> megabytes, I'm sure mirroring those would kill off almost all!

Well, a local user has offered to donate a slew of 2GB disks that he
formerly used in RAID applications so if we had an important strategic
mirror in some location who's only reservation was disk space, I think
I could help out.  I think we have too many mirrors as it is right
now, however, so a little "thinning of the herd" probably wouldn't
hurt either.

> Also to be considered is shifting from distributing the built
> pages, to distributing the web source and having mirrors build on
> site.  This would make it easier to make local variations, such
> as the "about this server" page, primary ftp site used and the
> like.  To do this, the web source needs to be more self

I like that idea..

> Generally, the build procedure has a lot of rough edges to be
> smoothed.  Since I built the build procedure, I take full credit
> for those edges.  It was my first attempt at crafting a build
> procedure emulating the slick one used for the rest of the
> FreeBSD system.  I've definately got a bit to learn!

:-)

> About improving the ports interface, a lot could be done easier
> and cleaner (from the user perspective) if we just served the
> ports collection direct from the web server rather than linking
> to wcarchive.  What sort of a load would this generate?  Are
> wcarchive stats for ports handy?

For www or FTP?

					Jordan