Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 07:47:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>
To:        Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
Cc:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk space poll

On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Tim Gerchmez wrote:

=> At 11:32 PM 7/22/98 -0700, Kevin G. Eliuk wrote:
=>
=> >I still want more room for FBSD! At least I have a subscription now that
=> >I can more easily try many different packages without laborious
=> >downloads :-)  I tell you all, once you get yourself a CD set you'll
=> >never go back.
=>
=> Do you have any idea how quickly packages get updated?  Probably at the

Uh huh,

=> time v3.0 of FreeBSD is released, 95% of current packages will have been
=> upgraded, and a large number of new ones added since 2.2.6.  As of now,
=> about 75% have been upgraded, and there are many new additions to 2.2.7.
=> CD's get old faster than a mayfly.

oh yeah, only have to try to keep current with lynx to know that :-)
I use the ports if I decide that I want a more current version than
what is available on the CD.  And my reasons for getting the
subscriptions are varied as well, its nice to be putting money into
wcarchive as well, that the time and confidence that they have put into
FreeBSD are rewarded.  But this is repeating what jkh said in his
announce of the last two releases.

Now what to do with the 2.2.6-RELEASE that is on the shelf.

=> Personally, I'd rather have ISDN, ADSL or a cable modem to download
=> FreeBSD... to me that would be 1000 times better than any CD :-)
=> Unfortunately I'm still stuck with a 33.6k modem, and STILL downloading
=> 2.2.7 (after about 12-16 hrs...  currently updating package changes).

I remember those downloads, yuck.

I assume that you have a plan where you are at that offers unlimited
internet access for a set price.  I am not so lucky here in that the
package that I have is limited to 60hrs.

What surprises me is the times that you have reported for your dl's. I
recall doing a complete install, sources and the works, and that took 14
hours on a 14.4 modem.  I don't doubt it because I have noticed a
similar occurance with a 56k modem I am currently testing, where the
connection rate is 44,000 - 48,000 and the fastest I have been able to
attain from a compressed dl is 1.4 - 1.6 kbs.

I work for the local ISP, and we discuss this often.

                                                  Regards,
                                                  Kevin G. Eliuk

Discover Rock Solid, Discover FreeBSD  |  http://www.FreeBSD.Org