Date:      Sun, 28 Nov 1999 20:41:55 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        MAX@one.com.au
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org

The correct method for soliciting help on this topic is _not_ to spam
multiple lists with your question.

> I have a Digital Alpha200 station planned to be install with FREEBSD OS.
> Firstly I am having the trouble of booting up at the main console, I used the
> kern.flp and mfsroot.flp to boot up to begin the installation. Right after it
> boot up with the prompt of terminal selection where you have 4 choices, my
> keyboard give no response to the machine. Wonder why?

Because you have the SRM 'console' variable set incorrectly, and FreeBSD
believes that you are using a serial terminal.  The SRM knows how to
probe for a keyboard, but doesn't correctly export the terminal
interface.  Thus, you must set 'console' to either 'graphics' or 'serial'.

> Secondly, alternatively, i used a serial port terminal to get the console
> prompt. I am able to boot up and begin with installation process. But the only
> thing is that I have the error message on installation which are from the
> documentation files where i presume that it do no harm to the installation
> process.

I cannot parse this.

> (boot dka0.0.0.6.0 -flags a)
> block 0 of dka0.0.0.6.0 is a valid boot block
> reading 15 blocks from dka0.0.0.6.0
> bootstrap code read in
> base=if2000, image_start=0, image_bytes=1e00
> initializing HWRPB at 2000
> initializing page table at 1e4000
> initializing machine state
> setting affinity to the primary CPU
> jumping to bootstrap code
> *** keyboard not plugged in ...
> Can't open file /boot/loader
> *** keyboard not plugged in ...

Your installation did not complete correctly.  Try again.

> So, how should i get the freebsd running?

Install it correctly.  It's not really very hard.  If you go to the
questions list, and promise to give them more information than you've
given us, you should get the sort of help you need.

> Do we need to update the alpha station firmware ?

It's always a good idea, but I don't think that's your problem.