Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 18:05:08 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        gek <gekk0@usa.net>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: my list

On Wednesday, 26 August 1998 at 22:38:45 -0700, gek wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I apologize for the mass amount of email concerning this latest development.
>
> I set up a new list for FreeBSD newbies, to subscribe, just send a blank
> email to:
> fbsd-newbies-subscribe@makelist.com        (original name eh? :)  )
>
> The list is set up for people new to FreeBSD to discuss and ask questions
> regarding FreeBSD.  The list is target towards "newbies", so just remember
> that a answer to the question you ask may not be able to be answered by
> list memebers.
>
> Eventually I would like to develop a FAQ, to answer some of the simple
> questions, how to I delete a file, etc....Anyone interested in being the
> FAQ maintainer?  :)
>
> I am not trying to compete with this list, but offer people another avenue
> to pursue their questions.
>
> The rules for this list are:
> 1) No spam
> 2) No excessive flaming
> 3) Try to keep it somewhat related to FreeBSD
> 4) Only members of the list can post to the list.
>
> If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Basically, only one: what will this list do which isn't already
covered by the FreeBSD lists?

I appreciate your good intentions, but I think you might be going
about it the wrong way.  There are lots of things for people to do to
help the FreeBSD project--in your case, I could think of answering
questions, updating documentation, maybe even helping maintain the
*official* FAQ (you'll have to discuss that with Doug White if you're
interested).

I think we have too many lists already.  From before the inception of
FreeBSD-newbies, I had long discussions with Sue Blake about whether
we needed -newbies.  The jury's still out on that one, but I can't
think of an earthly reason to have another one, especially not one
which sounds like -newbies.

Greg