Date:      Tue, 9 Mar 1999 20:19:41 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Steve Sizemore <steve@cmpharm.ucsf.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing boot manager

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Steve Sizemore wrote:

> Trying to install any flavor of BSD on my AlphaPC 164LX. So far
> FreeBSD seems to come closest, but...
>
> After several attempts to install from CDROM (3.1) and various ftp
> distributions, I finally had success installing the current (4.0)
> snapshot. The only error message that I got was that the compat22
> package failed, which I guess isn't surprising.
>
> However, the machine won't boot - it can't find /boot/loader. Why
> wasn't that installed, and how do I install it?

Can you tell me exactly which 4.0 snapshot you installed?  It might be
useful to list the contents of /boot from the emergency shell after
another test installation.

> Also, I'm wondering why every time I boot the installation disks, it
> wants to repartition my disk. Especially after my last install, which
> seems to have gone to completion, the partition info (as well as
> populated file systems) should be on the disk, but sysinstall doesn't see
> it.

I know about this but I haven't been able to fix it yet.  Its quite hard
debugging libdisk when it only seems to go wrong when sysinstall uses it
:-(.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com