Date:      Fri, 02 Aug 96 21:30:04 PST
From:      BRETT_GLASS@ccgate.infoworld.com
To:        "David E. Tweten" <tweten@frihet.com>, pechter@shell.monmouth.com
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI Drive recommendation

>> Any views on the DEC DSP5200S scsi drive. I'm considering one --
>> since it meets my needs -- under $500 and
>> around 2GB.

> Mine has been running pretty much full time for two years.  It is a lot
> quieter and cooler to the touch than the Toshiba 3 1/2" drives on my
> machine at work.

Mine is the hottest drive I own -- almost makes your finger sizzle. And the
case has a LOT of surface area, which means a lot of power dissipation.

Speed is acceptable. There seem to be some SCSI compatibility problems with
the drive. It has problems on Sun 3s, and some PC-compatible controllers
will give you infrequent but resounding core dumps and segmentation faults
under FreeBSD. I'm having pretty good luck with an Adaptec EISA SCSI twin.

If your price range is $500 or less, you should be able to get a much
newer, smaller, and cooler drive.

--Brett