Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 2000 08:04:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        rbush@bainbridge.verio.net (Randy Bush)
Cc:        davids@webmaster.com (David Schwartz), freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Stable)
Subject:   Re: New US CVSup mirrors

> > These problems could be solved if:
> > 2) The list of available servers were reasonably well maintained so that
> > busy or stale servers were removed from it in a timely manner.
>
> and cash could fall from the sky.  :-)
>
> in operational reality, this is not a tractable problem without things like
> a 7x24 noc with access to all servers, dns, ...  and then it is reduced from
> infeasable to merely a pain in the butt.
>
> and the gain is far from worth it.

Actually any perl weenie worth $15.00 hour should be able to codify a fully
automated solution to this problem in less than 8 hours.

cvsup-master.freebsd.org already has the data on what servers are actively
updating from the master via the cvsupd.log file.  Infact it knows exactly
what collection was updated on what server at what time.

Prune that data to a list of ``active and reasonably up to date servers''
and send dynamic DNS updates... viola automagic system.  Hell we had a perl
hacker around here that made ${User}.portmaster.isp.com track who had what
IP address assigned when they logged in via dynamic DNS.

Now before someone goes off and tries to do this there are other harder
technical reasons that this is a bad idea, the major one being locality
of reference, ie we really don't want folks is Australia cvsuping from
servers in Russia now do we!!!

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net