Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2007 10:57:49 -0600
From:      "Kirk Davis" <kirk.davis@epsb.ca>
To:        "Craig Boston" <cb@severious.net>
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: (Please test) New blackberry (uberry) driver.

Hi Craig,
        Thanks for testing the driver.  Sorry it has taken a little =
while to get back to you.  I have been camping in Ontario, Canada with =
very intermittent internet access.=20
=20
        I have tested it with an 8830, 8100, and an 8703e but nit with =
the 8700 so far.  I'll have to look around work and I'm sure I can dig =
up an 8700 to test with.
=20
        Are you sure that it is charging at 500mA rate without the =
do_charge routing in there?  You can check this with the 'usbdevs -v' =
command.  It should show 500mA power rate.  The problem with the =
Blackberries is that they do not tell the USB bus to turn on the 500mA =
charge until you enable it on the device.  Then the device disconnects =
and reconnects to the buss with the higher charge rate enabled.  That =
might be why you are seeing it detach and reattach. =20
=20
       It gets even harder with the "pearl" type Blackberry.  I'm not =
yet sure what models have the "pearl" features in them but it seems like =
it was added for a removable storage card.  The 8100 (the real pearl), =
8800, and the 8830 all have this feature.  When these devices connect to =
the buss, they id themselves as a pearl type blackberry. The driver then =
needs to turn on the high charge rate and tell them to go into dual =
mode. The dual mode allows them to charge and also expose the memory =
card to the umass USB driver so it can be mounted.=20
=20
      There is still one bug that I am tracking down and that is in the =
way the umass device is handling the memory card.  The blackberry =
exposes the memory card to the umass device right away but doesn't let =
it use it until the user types in there password on the blackberry.  The =
umass device does like this tries to repeatedly query the card.  Once =
you type the password in then everything seems to be OK.  I'm sure it's =
just a matter of setting up the right QUIRKS string in the umass driver =
but I haven't yet had a chance to start working on this.
=20
      Any more feedback or testing is always welcome.
=20
--- Kirk