Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 23:08:59 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>
Cc:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wats so special about freeBSD?

Bill Fumerola wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 10:12:42PM -0700, Crist J . Clark wrote:
>
> > I use FreeBSD and it cannot be said FreeBSD is not one of the more
> > secure OSes out there (with the standard caveat, "when properly
> > configured"), but I think OpenBSD has every right to make the claims
> > they do.
>
> I never questioned the right to make the claims (they've earned it), but
> I just wondered if people just read what everyone else says about each
> BSD and accepts as the gospel truth or actually uses this old crusty
> tool called research.

Or perhaps this crusty old tool called using each of them daily?

FreeBSD does have a number of advantages over OpenBSD.  Some of them the
OpenBSD developers would perhaps shrug off as rock-polishing, but the hours
spent developing the FreeBSD build system has made it much more workable
than what OpenBSD has.  The much larger ports collection, despite the ease
of moving FreeBSD ports to OpenBSD, shows how much bigger the group of
people working on FreeBSD is.  The FreeBSD installation is head and
shoulders over OpenBSD or NetBSD, at least as of 1.4.2.

OTOH, if you want to install a secure system and don't know what you're
doing, OpenBSD installs a much more secure configuration out of the box.
The afterboot(8) man page helps a neophyte administrator figure out what
they might want to do to continue securing their system.