Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 21:22:41 +0200
From:      Thierry Herbelot <herbelot@cybercable.fr>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: which nvidia based PCI graphics card is recommended for XFree86 4.0  ?

Andreas Klemm wrote:

> see subject ...
>
> Want to play games under win98 only sometimes.
> Should mainly be supported by XFree86 4.0
> Should support PCI bus.
> Want to have nvidia chipset, since a friend recommended it to me.
>
> Have a 19" monitor and am running 1280x1024 @ 100 Hz.
> Want to be able to run 24 or 32 bpp.
>
> What card would be recommended ?
>
>         Andreas ///

Hello,

I'm presently using a low-performance TNT2-M64 under XFree 4.01, and it
works very fine (as long as you just use X-win, and do not want to play
games under FreeBSD) with my 19'' monitor at 1280x1024x75Hz

If you want to run OpenGL applications (or use the 90% of the
transistors of your board which are dedicated to 3D), there is a
**binary** 3D-driver available from NVidia, running under RedHat ; else
you've still got the Wincrap 3D-drivers.

There was a discussion on Stable recently about NVidia and the release
of **binary** drivers.

If you can stand this attitude of NVidia, buy a TNT2 or GeForce 2MX :
they are very good boards, and they work well under XFree (4.01). (check
the existence of a PCI version, though !)

You may also want to support manufacturers which are more open (matrox
releases its doc, for example, and there is a source driver for 3D
acceleration under XFree)

	TfH

> --
> Andreas Klemm                               http://people.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
>                                      http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/SMP.html
>                                    powered by Symmetric MultiProcessor FreeBSD
> New APSFILTER 542 and songs from our band - http://people.freebsd.org/~andreas

Thierry Herbelot                        ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN   /"\
Dir. technique LUCCAS                  AGAINST HTML MAIL & NEWS \ /
tout le cable sur  http://www.luccas.org      PAS DE HTML DANS   X
un CV :  http://perso.cybercable.fr/herbelot    LES COURRIELS   / \