Date:      Mon, 20 May 1996 15:02:33 CDT
From:      Soren Dayton <csdayton@midway.uchicago.edu>
To:        Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Congrats on CURRENT 5/1 SNAP...

> Out of personal preference (whether or not it ever goes in the tree), I'd
> also like to reduce the number of statically-linked binaries

this is all I get in /usr/bin

/usr/bin/chflags:    FreeBSD/i386 demand paged executable
/usr/bin/gunzip:     FreeBSD/i386 demand paged executable
/usr/bin/gzcat:      FreeBSD/i386 demand paged executable
/usr/bin/gzip:       FreeBSD/i386 demand paged executable
/usr/bin/ld:         FreeBSD/i386 demand paged executable
/usr/bin/tar:        FreeBSD/i386 demand paged executable
/usr/bin/zcat:       FreeBSD/i386 demand paged executable

I think that I can handle tar and gzip not being dynamically
linked. (and the gzip binary is only four of those!)
Same for ld.  What else are you referring to?

>                                                              (i.e. move
> /bin to /usr/bin like Linux and Solaris)

and if you do not have a /usr filesystem?????  I _much_ prefer this
way, being someone without a /usr filesystem once upon a time

>                           and revamp the boot scripts to support
> SVR4-style /etc/init.d for safer package installs.

I would like to see this happen.    I find it much more flexible than
one flat file.  Are there compelling reasons for keeping the current
structure for boot scripts.

Soren