Date:      Wed, 01 Jul 1998 15:42:24 -0400
From:      Chris Browning <brownicm@netunlimited.net>
To:        newbie <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>, tim.parkinson@ccr.ntu.ac.uk
Subject:   Re: What do people on the list use FreeBSD for?

I'm switching carrers at 42 from professional chef to
programmer. Restaurants not very family-friendly. My wife
does Novell/NT/Win programming/sysadmin and she said I was a
smart fella, I oughta try it. Did the quickie two-year
curriculum. Lots of Windows-Visual Basic and whatnot. COBOL
fer cryin' out loud. C++, ouch- a real language for a
change. IBM assembly language, which I liked. RPG on an
AS/400--never, ever, ever as long as I live; I'll go back to
cooking first. And one lonely little course in UNIX. I was
hooked. Jeez, DOS with teeth. The instructor was this
ancient retired AT&T guy who'd been doing it since the
mid-70's. I've had one box or another running freebsd for a
couple years, but no time. Taught myself Visual FoxPro for
my senior project, which I just finished. I don't have to go
back to work till this fall so I'm furiously doing all the
UNIX and C I can. I'll do FoxPro if I absolutely have to but
people in the business tell me that given the labor market
in this area (North Carolina US), even a greenhorn like me
can just about pick the shop I want. It most likely won't be
a FreeBSD shop but it will be a UNIX shop. Even if it's Y2K
to start. I'm never going back. UNIX is too cool. Anyone who
wants to do that M$ API black-box .dll
who-knows-what's-in-there stuff is welcome to it. No thanks.
And I look forward to the day when I may be able to
contribute to the FreeBSD project. I owe the folks who have
brought it this far. Thanks. Pardon my soapbox.

And, newbie that I am, if I ever send someone undesired
personal email, I hope they will let me know how I screwed
up and how to fix it so it never, ever happens again. Now
I'm terrified.

Chris Browning
brownicm@netunlimited.net