Date:      Thu, 20 Aug 1998 20:54:58 -0700
From:      "Jeff W." <dmt@bigfoot.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Newbies <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: URL and Opinions on how to really learn something

At 07:12 PM 8/20/98 -0700, Rick Hamell wrote:
>>  - make no assumptions about prior knowledge (or state them up front)
>>  - contain no errors
>>  - relevant to my system (FreeBSD)
>>  - relevant to my configuration (e.g. describes the same shell)
>>  - easy to understand, good pace
>>  - explain concepts as well as how-to
>>  - demonstrate how to use the concepts to expand on learned skills
>>  - show how what is learned can be put into daily use
>>  - make me feel confident, not stupid
>>  - suggest where to go to learn more
>>
>> Anything else?
>

>	-Show hands on examples, i.e. ls shows directory, ls-l gives
> 	permissions, date of creation, etc.
>	-user friendly explaninations of man pages or concepts on man
>	pages
>	-good index that cross referances topics
>	-an explanation of files, what they do and why the're there.
>	-explains 'common knowledge' things, i.e. I've never seen a
>	referance to a .forward .signature or .plan file

-At the end, explains what has been covered, in what depth, and what
remains to be covered (if the latter is too much to write, then a
generalization would be good).  I find that when reading some computer
books that at the end I'm left wondering if I now know everything about the
topic (which usually isn't the case), and if I don't, what the heck it is
that I don't know.
 --Jeff W.

"dude things out here are out of   ahh...     ahh.    known reality."

"mail me my damn toothpaste.  yeah... that's right bitch.
and send it priority too."

 My trippy page (note the address change):
 http://2cb.home.ml.org