Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 17:47:15 +0100
From:      John Murphy <john253@crosswinds.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP filters

Jim Percy wrote:
>I've been working on our FreeBSD server (release 4.0) .  It acts as
>a dial on demand gateway for a network of 3 windows computers.
>I've been having problems with the dial on demand being overly =
sensitive.
>The server seems to dial-up for anything.  Could you possibly help me
>with some rules for setting up a filter. All we use it for is browsing,
>icq and mail.=20

The file: /usr/share/examples/ppp/ppp.conf.sample shows some very useful
'dial' filters which should solve your problem.  I found I had to remove
the trailing remarks to get them to work.  Rules for browsing and mail
should be easy enough.  For http:

    set filter in 10 permit tcp src eq 80 estab
    set filter out 10 permit tcp dst eq 80

works for me...

HTH
John.