Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 22:57:39 -0500
From:      JT <luser@ahab.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   thinkpad a22e quirks and successes

Success with this machine overall.

The interaction of apm, pcm audio, and usb is the trickiest part.   I could
detail the trials to anyone who cares, but the bottom line is this:

XFree86-4 works at 1024x768.  Mouse works.  Built-in ethernet works (fxp, and
nicely as a module).  Apm works, including suspend to disk (with appropriate
phdisk preparation).  USB works.  Audio works, but I do a kldunload snd_csa
and reload it in /etc/rc.resume. They all work together if you go into the
bios config->power->pci power management and set it to "disable", AND use the
kernel module versions of audio and usb.  I haven't tried pccard yet.

There are a lot of oddities regarding the interaction of usb, apm, and audio,
and module vs kernel config and pci power management on or off.  Some
combinations crash the machine on boot, some result in usb or audio not
working, etc.  I tried twiddling other settings, too, like USB BIOS (a BIOS
setting).  I can detail cases I tried and test other cases for anyone who is
interested.

Feel free to email me if particular details of the above interest you.