Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 2000 01:03:13 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Talkington <dtalk@prairienet.org>
To:        Anthony J Knapp <knapp.betton@virgin.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: beginners with bsd

Tony -

experience) if you're interested in some flavor of Unix and friends,
FreeBSD presents to a newcomer at least one advantage that I don't
think Linux can match: clear, thorough documentation. I was quite
impressed by the readability and depth (often conflicting goals!) of
Greg Lehey's book.  I learned Linux by chasing information on the
'net, but if I was a newbie all over again, I'm pretty sure that with
a book like Greg's, I'd have had a much easier time with FreeBSD than
I had with Linux.

I use Red Hat on my laptop, and I like it just fine, but it's a moving
target.  If you want to learn computing the right way, you can't do
better than here ... if you're persistent and willing to read, you'll
do fine.  The points about device support are certainly valid,
however. Cutting-edge hardware support, which many Linux distributions
have, really isn't one of FreeBSD's strengths.

Whatever you decide, have fun!
- -d

- --
David Talkington