Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2014 06:50:44 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 10 + Apache + PHP

--dSHU4mWwtKPalvfclwUTovPPqxAhaeOvj

On 10/03/2014 04:40, Dale Scott wrote:
>> I too want to manage hosts exclusively with binary packages.  In the a=
bsence
>> > of a working a Poudriere implementation, it appears I will have to i=
nstall it via ports. :(

> I don't see how Poudriere would help in this situation (but I also
> don't know how Poudriere works). I just have one real server and a
> couple of dev vm's. It doesn't feel it would be worthwhile to have a
> local Poudriere repo, update it, rebuild the packages, and then
> finally update my couple servers, when I couldjust "pkg upgrade" on
> each server (if I can go 100% packages). Am I missing something?

poudriere is the answer right now to the problem of wanting to use
binary packages but finding that the default packages from
pkg.freebsd.org are not built with the correct set of options.

Eventually we will have sub-packages and other improvements to the way
binary package management happens, so that binary packages become a lot
more flexible, but those changes depend on the final demise of the
pkg_tools and some of the current work on pkg(8) being released.  It's
going to take months (at best) before this problem is addressed effective=
ly.

Until then, building your own pkgs using poudriere allows you all the
speed and convenience of using a package repository with the flexibility
to set your own options.  You can mix local poudriere built packages
with official FreeBSD packages -- you do need to make sure your ports
tree is fairly close to the version used in the official builds, maybe
by tracking the 2014Q1 branch.  Running poudriere is not hugely onerous.
 Once you've got it set up, you can pretty much set up cron jobs to run
the builds you want and leave it to do its thing with little additional
attention required.

Even if you only have a very few machines to maintain, poudriere will
alleviate the amount of time and effort you need to put into doing that.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.