Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 18:53:14 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Michael Robinson <robinson@public.bta.net.cn>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why not on ftp.freebsd.org?

> >> Why is the Java port not available from ftp.freebsd.org?
> >
> >Because the java porters don't have access to ftp.freebsd.org.  Since
> >ftp.freebsd.org is one of if not *THE* largest ftp site in the world
> >(and not just a freebsd site), access is not giving out.
>
> It would be nice if it were (more readily) available via FTP.

The FreeBSD project has no publically available ftp sites.  The people
who sponsor ftp.freebsd.org happen to allow FreeBSD's use of things, but
there is no 'public' place where any developer can stick things for
download.  We rely on outside support for ftp resources (which doesn't
always work well as noted by the ftp site being down...)

Nate