Date:      Wed, 21 Oct 1998 15:18:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        bde@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, jobaldwi@vt.edu
Subject:   Re: Bug in rintf()?...

On 21-Oct-98 Mike Smith wrote:

>> I've been having a problem with rintf() not rounding properly, and I don't
>> understand the code in /usr/src/libm/common_source/floor.c well enough to
>> figure out where it is going wrong.  Here is the problem I'm having though:
>
> We actually use the Sun-supplied math library, so you should be looking
> at src/lib/msun/src/s_rintf.c

That code's a lot more confusing. :)  For what its worth, friends of mine using
Linux are having the same problem, so it is probably no big deal.

>>  rintf(3.5) returns 4.0
>>  rintf(3910.5) returns 3910.0  (should return 3911.0)
>
> Unfortunately, I don't understand what these functions are doing
> either, but it's worth noting that rint() suffers the same fate.
> (Tested under 3.0).

It's supposed to round the float (rint() uses double) parameter to the nearest
integral parameter and return it in a float.  It seems that some times when a
value is an integer and exactly a half, it rounds down instead of up.

> --
> \\  Sometimes you're ahead,       \\  Mike Smith
> \\  sometimes you're behind.      \\  mike@smith.net.au
> \\  The race is long, and in the  \\  msmith@freebsd.org
> \\  end it's only with yourself.  \\  msmith@cdrom.com

---

John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu> -- http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/
PGP Key: http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/pgpkey.asc

Every time I turn my computer on, nothing else gets done.