Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 2000 09:34:21 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@sunbay.com>
To:        Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd errors.

On Tue, Oct 31, 2000 at 04:24:12PM -0500, Kenneth Wayne Culver wrote:
> I just decided to make my firewall rules more strict, so I set my type to
> "simple" in rc.conf... and now I get this error
> Oct 31 16:16:07 culverk natd[139]: failed to write packet back (Permission
> denied)

This happens when ipfw blocks packets written back by natd(8).

> my rules are the same rules as the "simple" specification in rc.firewall.

There was a problem with the stock "simple" firewall, which has now been
fixed in 4.1-STABLE (/etc/rc.firewall, rev 1.30.2.5).

> Could someone tell me how to get rid of this error?

Make sure your rc.firewall is rev 1.30.2.5 or higher.

--
Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,