Date:      Wed, 02 Aug 2006 17:02:23 -0400
From:      Gerard Seibert <gerard@seibercom.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Ron Clark <rsclark@kingwoodcable.net>
Subject:   Re: Mysql from ports

Ron Clark wrote:

>  Good day all,
>
>     I am building a new server and need Mysql. I have tried to install
>    4.1 server and 5.0 server. Both error out during the build. I try to
>    restart the install and it installs, but then will not start because
>    /var/log/mysql directory does not exist. I create the directory and
>    try to restart, to no avail.
>
>     Is there a version of Mysql that can be installed with out errors?
>    Are there steps that  am missing to make this run? I have installed
>    Mysql from ports before with no errors, so this is new.
>
>     Thanks in advance,

I have MySQL-5 installed. It worked without incident. Might I suggest
the following.

If you have portsclean installed, part of the portupgrade package,
please read the manual for it and run it.

"portsclean -CLP" should do the trick. Then update your ports tree. I
would recommend 'portsnap' but that decision is up to you.

Then navigate to databases/mysql51-server

I would recommend that you delete that directory you created manually.
It probably has the wrong permissions, etc. and will cause a build
problem.

Do the regular "make install && make clean" and you should be good to go.

Place: mysql_enable="YES" in the /etc/rc.conf file and then either
reboot or run the rc.d file: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server start and
it will create the directories it requires. You still have to create a
use though.

Ciao!

--
Gerard