Date:      Wed, 02 Dec 1998 10:20:47 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Thomas Good" <tomg@nrnet.org>
Subject:   Re: trifecta of beginner questions

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998 09:02:17 -0500 (EST), Thomas Good wrote:

>A bonus question:  I need to get my UUCP conf files happy with an
>internal modem (com4 so it would be /dev/cuaa3...)  Of course I get
>the `device not configured' complaint from cu...anyone able to point
>me to a relevant HOWTO or URL?

I would hazard a guess that you're running the standard GENERIC kernel.
 You should have included the output of your dmesg with your original
post...

Anyway, the GENERIC kernel has sio2 and sio3 disabled by default. You
can boot and enter -c at the boot prompt, followed by v to enter the
visual config editor and enable sio2 and sio3 (they'll be in the bottom
section when disabled and it the top section when enabled) or you can
build a custom kernel (good idea to get used to do this anyway). See
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook50.html#125

Also, be sure to select IRQs that are NOT shared with any other
devices. This ain't Winblows, ya know...

Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.