Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 22:14:58 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>, Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Inspiron 4100/8100?

On Saturday 27 October 2001 09:28, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 11:46:07PM +0200, Lukas Ertl wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Dell Austria has currently some nice offers for Inspiron 4100 and 8100
> > notebooks, and I'm really thinking about buying one.
> >
> > My question is: do they work with FreeBSD, and if yes, how do they
> > perform? Are the integrated peripherals (IrDA, LAN,...) supported? And
> > what about X? (The 4100 has a ATI Mobility Radeon built in, the 8100 a
> > nVidia GeForce2 Go; I didn't find a lot about these chips on the XFree
> > homepage.)
>
> As for the GeForce2 GO I must say No no and no. I have FreeBSD running
> on the Inspiron 8000 (which is just 100MHz less than the 8100)
> but there is presently no chance to get an X11 screen for FreeBSD.

The i8000 (and I think maybe the i4100) can be configured with ATI RAGE
Mobility chips, which work quite nicely with X & FreeBSD.  I'm using one
right now, and 1400x1050 is very nice.

They can even swap the video chip for you; I had a friend who didn't get what
he ordered & they're swapping his for free, but it might be possible to it
for a fee even if you originally ordered the wrong thing.

(Nvidia: just say NO.)   You also might look into a refurbished i8000 with an
ATI chip.

But if GeForce GO is the only choice, you should call Dell & tell them why
you can't buy a Dell, and then buy something else without an Nvidia chip.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

-------> Free Dmitry Sklyarov!  (let him go home)  <-----------