Date:      Sat, 15 Sep 2012 23:40:37 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Cc:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fallout from the CVS discussion

On Sep 15, 2012, at 11:35 PM, Konstantin Belousov wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 04:37:49PM -0400, Eitan Adler wrote:
>=20
> Removing the whole CVS discussion above, want to answer to seemingly
> unrelated note in your email, which I see as continuing very =
disturbing
> trend.
>=20
>> However, -CURRENT is not meant to be a production system.
>=20
> It is simply not true. CURRENT shall never be knowingly put into a =
state
> where it cannot be used for the 'production-grade' use, whatever it
> means. We do accept changes are so disruptive that some unknown =
fallout
> is expected, since otherwise developers cannot make any significant
> progress.
>=20
> But introducing known breakage is simply not acceptable. Doing so =
shrinks
> the already limited testing base we have for HEAD.

That, in a nutshell, is why I've been beating on the 'we have to tie up =
the loose ends we know about before pulling the trigger' drum...  That =
should be people's first thought before they make major changes in =
FreeBSD.  For a better handled thread, look at the clang discussions =
when the warnings were sent out of the cut over.  MANY things have come =
to light in that discussion which were little known, and they should be =
fixed...

Warner