Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 12:05:03 +1300
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Darren Henderson <darren@nighttide.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Looking for Yoda

On 11 Mar 2001, at 15:06, Darren Henderson wrote:

> One of the common misconceptions I've seen from non-programmers is that
> "knowing" a language is the same as knowing how to program. Its exactly
> backwards.

And very common amongst employers.  I have encountered only one
that was looking for knowledge and theory, not specific skills. They
wanted people who knew object based programming.  They when
provided training in the langagues they were using.

> When you know how to program and you know the syntax for one language,
> learning how to use others is no big deal. You may not work as fast in
> PL/I as you do in C, but if you know C, (or pascal or even cobol) and have
> a good grounding in computer science then you can program in PL/I. You may
> do it with the manual open continuously the first few times but you can do
> it.

Oh I wish more people knew this!  Umm, I mean employers.

--
Dan Langille
pgpkey - finger dan@unixathome.org | http://unixathome.org/finger.php