Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 1999 15:34:27 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        seth@freebie.dp.ny.frb.org (Seth)
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org, advocacy@FreeBSD.org, jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, info@cdrom.com
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD Power Pak at CompUSA

As I recall, Seth wrote:
> I visited the local CompUSA in Manhattan yesterday and was pleased to see
> 4 copies of the PowerPak spanning 2 shelves.  Someone had obscured the top
> stack of 2 with a copy of Red Hat, but I quickly remedied the problem and
> moved the lower boxes to the top shelf (for easy visibility), right next
> to the price/description label.  $49.95.
>
> SB
>
> On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, Gary T. Corcoran wrote:
> > Kenn Martin wrote:
> > > Jordan wanted to know if the Power Pak had been seen at any CompUSA
> > > stores outside of California.
> >
> > I visited CompUSA in central New Jersey (Springfield) this past
> > weekend and found 2 copies of the FreeBSD PowerPak on the shelf.
> > The shelf price was marked as $59.99, but it was apparently on
> > sale for $49.99, as that's how it rang up.  I'm guessing that
> > was just the sale price for last week.  Even so, $59.99 as a
> > regular price isn't bad...

All the Phoenix stores got deliveries this week (about 3 per store).
They have a $49.95 price on the shelf, but the clerk tried to ring
them up at $59.95.  They corrected that when I pointed out the shelf
label.  The $50 was a sale price, $60 will be the regular price.

Any of our Walnut Creek friends know what CompUSA pays for those
things?  Seems to me they're running on a pretty thin margin there.
But I love FreeBSD being in the distrbution channel.

Also, advice to Walnut Creek.  It's not possible to tell what
version of the goodies are in the box without opening it.  The
glossy box cover just says "latest versions" (in the star on the
upper right-hand corner).  That's gonna be a problem in the future
for anyone who decides to keep current by buying a new box, or when
recommending to a friend.

If the purpose of being vague on the box was to keep production
costs down, how about a sticker where that star lives?  If being
vague was to keep inventory from aging, well...

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net