Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2006 18:03:03 -0500
From:      Jonathan Horne <freebsd@dfwlp.com>
To:        "Matti J. Karki" <mjk@iki.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: need help troubleshooting man

On Wednesday 02 August 2006 05:14, Matti J. Karki wrote:
> On 8/1/06, Jonathan Horne <freebsd@dfwlp.com> wrote:
> > i remember a thread from a few weeks back, that i followed closely, but
> > was never able to resolve my issue as the original poster did.  i have a
> > 6.1-STABLE system that the bulk of my mans to not work, but some that are
> > recently installed from ports are working.  can someone guide me thru
> > trouble shooting this issue?
>
> I managed to get this kind of situation by installing first the
> "minimal set" (or "distribution") and then installing everything else
> from the ports. The minimal installation set does not have man pages.
> To get small - but fully functional - installation, I had to install
> the "User set", which contains the required binaries and all relevant
> documentation files. Maybe re-running the sysinstall and selecting
> appropriate distribution set could help?
>

>         -Matti

well, i thought about that for a moment, and i wasnt able to come to any real
conclusion.

1) i have only one box that is running STABLE, and its my x/kde workstation.
this is also my only computer with half-broken man pages.
2) i have several production and development servers (no desktops), and they
are all RELENG.  all my releng boxes have working man pages.

what do i need to check between my working releng and my stable workstation to
find the difference in why the stable has broken mans?

tia,
jonathan