Date:      Tue, 30 May 1995 00:12:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        agl@mac.glas.apc.org (Anthony Graphics)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 950412 hangs on ncr0 probing:

> > I am quite sure the bug is not fixed in Saturn II, aka Saturn >= Rev 4.,
> > If you had a Saturn I based board I would tell you to turn your external
> > cache off as the bug in it is very serious and prevents any type of
> > external cache from being used with bus mastered devices.
> >
> > What is the CPUID value for this CPU chip??  Does this happen to be
> > a stepping 0 Intel 486DX4/100??    Please send me the lines from
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ yes. Anything wrong with it

Possibly, I have 2 other sites reporting strange signals and or
crashes and both of them have stepping 0 Intel 486DX4/100 CPU
chips.

Can you please send me ALL of the markings on both the top and
the bottom of the chip.  I have an open incident number with Intel
on this and need that information to add to the report.  If possible
get your hands on a stepping 1 CPU and see if the problem just goes
away.

> > dmesg that are similiar to this:
> >
> > FreeBSD 2.0-BUILT-19950529 #0: Mon May 29 07:40:06  1995
> >     rgrimes@capo1.aac.dev.com:/var/src/sys/compile/GNDRSH
> > CPU: 90-MHz Pentium 735\\90 (Pentium-class CPU)
> >   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x524  Stepping=4
> >   Features=0x1bf<FPU,VME,PSE,MCE,CX8,APIC>
> > real memory  = 66715648 (16288 pages)
> > avail memory = 64196608 (15673 pages)
>
> FreeBSD 2.0.950412-SNAP #0: Thu Apr 13 14:11:34  1995
>     jkh@time.cdrom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC
> CPU: i486 DX4 (486-class CPU)
>   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x480  Stepping=0  Features=0x3<FPU,VME>

Yep, it is a stepping 0 :-(.  Intel won't confirm the problem, but with
3 sites now reporting this I am getting mighty suspecious!!

> CPU:
> ser # A4212608CA

I need *ALL* the numbers, both top and bottom.  If there is a white
tag on the bottom of the CPU that says warranty void if removed do
not remove it.  If you have a warranty on the CPU chip take it back
and get a stepping 1 CPU from who ever you got it from.

> Here, motherboard settings:
> JP17,18 Open
> JP22 1&2
> JP21 2&3
> JP26 1&2
> JP27 2&3
> JP28 1&2
> JP29 2&3
>
> JP18,20 1&2	- Ext CPU Speed 33 MHz
> JP3[012] 1&2	- SL CPU
> JP33 open (x3 Internal clock)
> JP34 2&3
> JP35 1&2
> JP36 2&3
> JP38 Open

I don't have a MB or the book for it here so I can't look these
up.  But from your comments it looks right.

> > If you can please do the voltage measurement to make sure the power
> > supply is putting out 4.95 to 5.05V at the motherboard power supply
> > connector.
> >
> Ok, will do, but tell me first if anything wrong with dmesg output.
> (stepping 0 486 in particular)

I suspect, but do not have confirmation that this stepping of the
chip erroniously asserts a privilidge instruction fault under certain
conditions.