Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 1996 01:30:06 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   A tiny tale, told too often.

root@time-> make all
>> tcl7.4.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist on this system.
>> Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.smli.com/pub/tcl/.
[What?!  I could swear I have this tar file on my CD]^C
root@time-> ls /cdrom
root@time-> mount /cdrom	[ Oh, whoops!  `noauto' strikes again! ]
root@time-> make all
Checksums OK.			[ Now we're happy! ]
===>  Extracting for tcl-7.4.2

Yep, some of you are no doubt nodding your heads - *that* stupid
problem!  Make a link tree to /cdrom/ports to save space and it works
just spiffy for most of them, that is until the CDROM gets umounted
somehow and your link now points into space.

I'd like to suggest that we change this:

	 for file in ${DISTFILES}; do \
		if [ ! -f $$file -a ! -f `/usr/bin/basename $$file` ]; then \
			${ECHO_MSG} ">> $$file doesn't seem to exist on this system."; \

To something a bit more intelligent which detects when the file is
a broken link.  I've tried adding a:

	if [ -h `/usr/bin/basename $$file` -o -h $$file ]; then
		.. bitch ..
		exit
	fi

clause to the above in the obvious place, but it doesn't seem to work!
Any ideas?

					Jordan