Date:      Sun, 30 Jul 2000 13:02:25 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Jay Kuri <jay@oneway.com>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Dell Inspiron

[moved to -questions; you're more likely to get an answer there]

On Saturday, 29 July 2000 at 21:14:10 -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> Saw your message regarding the Dell Inspiron line. I'm trying to
> get FreeBSD onto a private-labeled machine that's internally
> the same as the Inspiron. Trouble is, it won't recognize a PCMCIA
> LAN card, so I can't do a network install. I've tried the LAN
> card that came with the system (a Linksys that has an NE2000 clone
> plus a modem) and also a 3Com card. Neither works. Any tips?

You don't say which version of FreeBSD you're trying to install; maybe
the problem is there.

I have an Inspiron 7500, and I've used it with a number of different
cards, including Linksys, and I haven't had problems.  I'd guess that
you have a card with slightly different ID, one which isn't in
pccard.conf.  I'd suggest you try the install from CD-ROM and then get
the card up and running afterwards.

Greg