Date:      Mon, 9 Dec 1996 15:55:30 +0100 (MET)
From:      Michael Beckmann <petzi@apfel.de>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@nexgen.HiWAAY.net>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tyan Tomcat ? 256 MB RAM ? DIMMs ?

On Sun, 8 Dec 1996, David Kelly wrote:

> IMHO, especially when you are dealing with 256M of RAM, buy FPM w/
parity. The possible performance boost of EDO isn't worth the loss of
error checking. If you'll take a bit of a performance hit the Tomcat I
will do error correction on its memory.

> Others have posted to the FreeBSD lists that it is very difficult to
quantify a performance gain with EDO memory.

Hmm, I am aware that there is only a small performance gain in EDO RAMs;
but many modern mainboards only support 4-3-3-3 burst with FPM, and e.g.
4-2-2-2 burst with EDO; and that should make a difference, IMHO.

EDO is, however, not my primary interest, I would rather have a mainboard
with 4 - 8 DIMM slots, for standard 64 MB DIMMs as they are used in
Macintoshes, Suns etc. These are available everywhere for reasonable
prices. For the time being, however, a mainboard that can accept 8 x 32 MB
PS/2 modules would be just fine.

Cheers,

Michael