Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 1995 23:37:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jan@bagend.atl.ga.us (Jan Isley)
To:        emory!freebsd.org!jkh (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   keyboard locks up 950622-SNAP

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> Please let me know how you fare with this snapshot.

If this is not the right place for this, well just tell me
where to go.  How's that for a straight line? :)

Hardware is ASUS PVI-486AP4 motherboard - Aries chip set, 486-33
Intel, 16mb, a 1gb segate and a 200mb conner on onboard pci/ide,
logitech bus mouse, generic io card, sound-blaster 16 with panasonic
cdrom, diamond video vram (968) pci, and the floppy is connected to
a WD1007 esdi controller that does not have an esdi disk on it (too
hot here in the summer for those monsters!)... all running off of an
APC ups.

This system has been running dos and linux (1.2.5) for several
months doing lots of mail and news (and DOOM) with no problems.

I have spent this weekend installing (many times ... from a dos
partition) 2.0.5-950622-SNAP onto the last ~700mb of the segate
which is wd0... sometimes with only a 250mb dos partition, and
other times with a 150mb extend partition also (with linux).
I even took the OS2 partition and it's Boot Manager off ... if
you all remember my earlier fights with FreeBSD and the BM.

The first try was just installing bin.  After printing xxxx blocks
on debug window I got Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode.
... lots of other stuff that I wrote down if it matters.  I have not
had it crash since with several more installs... bin, dict, info,
manpages, compats, sys-src and some packages - bash and other stuff.

The failure symptom is the keyboard accepts no commands, nothing,
no change screen, no ctl-alt-del, nada... hit the reset button.
I *think* it may be related to the number of keystrokes.  If I
play around with sysinstall enough, it will lock up during the
install.  It does not take long.  I managed to get a kernel
compiled and installed but the problem persists.  I can give the
system lots of things to do and it will run fine for a few hours
or I can sit and type and it will lock up in about 10 minutes.
Just to be sure, I have tried another keyboard.  This happens with
csh and bash, no difference there.  If say I were compiling trn
when this happens, it appears that the compile continues.  I just
get no feedback on the screen.

I have run old SYSV systems for many years but I have little or
no BSD experience.  I got interested in FreeBSD so I could learn
BSD ... that and to get something going so that I could get this
Linux stuff off of my disk. :)  My network is a serial port and a
modem.  All of this "net" stuff in /etc is totally alien to me,
never mind sendmail.  So, not knowing what all to edit and turn on
and turn off, could I be configuring (or not) something to cause
this?  I cannot imagine that to be so, like I said, I know squat
about BSD.

BTW, about the install.  Why, if I gave the dos partition a mount
point in disklable, does sysinstall unmount it after loading the
various distributions you choose?  If you then go to install some
packages, first it complains about there not being a CDROM ... but
then you can get to the menu.  If you go over to the shell and
re mount /dos you can get at the packages to install them.  That is
if you renamed them to something that will jive with a dos filename
to begin with. :)

A few weeks ago I commented that with a local-time cmos setting,
setting the timezone seemed off for me.  When it asks "is this right"
it gives the offset time.  After rebooting, the time *is* correct,
however.

Want some interesting screen mumble jumble?  After the system is
up, try running sysinstall from the second screen.  :)

If I install bin, then after the system is up go back and install
say, manpages, it still gives me a "remade all devices".

Installing the iozone package failed, said it required sharutils.

Well, I have about 473 other questions, but they can wait until I
get something that will run for more than 15 minutes.  No, I am not
compaining... this has been rather interesting actually. :)
--
Jan Isley <jan@bagend.atl.ga.us>
coordinator, usenet volunteer votetakers