Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 14:52:14 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        ac199@hwcn.org
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freebsd.org>, freebsd-chat@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

> > I disagree.  I live in Montana, where we have one of the lowest
> > income/family in the nation.  And, due to it's 'ruralness' we haven't
> > kept up with the 'standard' with two working parents, so most two-parent
> > families leave one of them at home *in spite* of their low-income.  This
> > is mostly due to what's acceptable from being a parent, and what's not
> > in rural America.
>
> There is a certain minimum that is acceptable.  I still think that
> for many they would be below that minimum if only one parent was
> working.

What is that minimum?  8K/year?  I know a family of 5 (mom, pop, and 3
kids all under 12 who live on that now.)

> > It's all a matter of what's important.  Is having a car that < 3 years
> > old, sending your kids to private schools, having nice furniture, or
> > children that spend time with their parents more important?  It's all a
> > matter of perspective.
>
> Um.  Having both parents working does not guarantee one that one
> will have these things at all, unfortunately.

True, but it makes no sense to have both work if you aren't getting
ahead of the game.  Buy the time you pay medical and day care costs
because neither parent stays home (they *are* unfortunately related),
even after taxes it's should hopefully make things better, not worse.

Someone did a study in the Bay Area, and if the parent was making less
than $18K/yr., it was a wash.  If one parent can make over $18K/yr. in
Montana you'd be doing better than the average Joe. :) :)

Nate