Date:      Sun, 4 Aug 1996 06:47:47 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org, randy@zyzzyva.com
Subject:   Re: Mapped geometry vs. Actual

>I've long been an advocate of working out the true geometry
>issues when setting up SCSI drives.

>Could someone comment on whether this is still (ever) considered
>to be worth the frustration?

No, it's not unless the drive actually has a truly simple geometry
(i.e., a fixed number of sectors per track) and very little buffering.

>I had a recently frustrating experience with a 540M Quantum Fireball
>that FreeBSD simply refused to accept my "true" drive geometry.
>FreeBSD won and mapped to ???/32/64.

The Fireball has a geometry of 2 heads and 88-177 sectors per track,
and a 128K buffer.  It doesn' have a truly simple geometry so you
shouldn't try to tell FreeBSD its "true" geometry.

???/32sectors/64heads should be written as ???/64/32.  64 heads is
impossible for bootable drives.

Newfs uses the geometry ???/1/2048 unless it is invoked with special
options.  This strange geometry is used to limit newfs's "optimizations"
to 1MB boundaries.  The optimizations are usually pessimizations.

The ???/64/32 geometry is probably only used by the BIOS and the
bootstrap.

Bruce