Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 1996 17:35:15 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        jsigmon@www.hsc.wvu.edu, terry@lambert.org, grog@lemis.de, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Drinking (Was: We want Perl!)

> Drink about half a litre of water before you crash, and then as much as
> you can comfortably manage when you wake up.  Dehydration brought on by
> alcohol poisoning makes your hangover _much_ worse.  Having the extra
> water around makes the whole alcohol-disposal process work better too.

Dehydration is the worst problem... as you say, address it before
you crash.

Many hangovers are the result of impurities other than the alcohol
also causing histamine reactions.  Red wine was recently reported
to cause hangovers worse than white wine, for instance, because of
the impurities.

Most wines contain sulfites as preservatives.  If you are allergic
to the Sulfa family the drugs, you should probably not drink at
all.  At best, you are *guaranteed* a hangover.

The motion sickness remedy I recommended will quiet stomach upset,
headache, and vomiting (if you get that drunk) the morning after.

Realize that I'm not speaking from personal experience, since I have
a dietary allergy to alcohol (I guess that blows everyone's theories
on me being drunk while posting... 8-)).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.