Date:      Wed, 27 May 2009 20:20:36 +0200
From:      Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.questions@mailing.thruhere.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Kelly Jones <kelly.terry.jones@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Formatted text conversion

On Wednesday 27 May 2009 17:41:56 Kelly Jones wrote:
> I have e-books in several formats (DOC, LIT, PDF, RTF, HTML, TXT,
> etc). Is there a Unix command-line tool that converts between these
> formats?
>
> If not, is there at least a tool that converts these formats to TXT?
>
> My goal is to read these books on my Kindle, even if it means losing
> some formatting/bells/whistles.

There isn't a one-for-all that I know of. Doc (if that's MS Word) and Lit are
probably the hardest to find for command line, especially one that recognizes
versions.
For the rest, check out print (for PDF mostly), converters and textproc
category. There are a few available to you and best you check for yourself
what features you need (I suppose batch processing).
grep -i rtf /usr/ports/$category/*/pkg-descr does wonders for a quick
overview.

--
Mel