Date:      Tue, 8 Sep 1998 01:19:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
Cc:        Francisco Reyes <reyesf@newsguy.com>, Advocacy List <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and KDE

On Mon, 7 Sep 1998, Martin Cracauer wrote:
[...]
> Well, the questionable license is still the weak point. Redhat doesn't
> include qt/KDE with their Linux distribution anymore, because they
> think using GPL code (KDE code is GPL) on top of qt violates the GPL.
> Qt is not part of the operating system and therefore would have to be
> GPLed as well to run in the same binary as the GPL code. Actutally,
> this is a problem with the GPL, not with Troll's license.

This, as is most things is arguable.  By including Qt in the ports tree,
and thus on the FreeBSD CD set, one could call it part of the OS.

> If FreeBSD concentrates on KDE, we may run into trouble if Walnut
> Creek drops it as well and/or Trolltech messes with their license. The
> default desktop for FreeBSD installations is a serious investment.

This is pretty much a non issue (I dislike both the Qt and GPL for similar
reasons.. bleh). Qt will remain (at least in its current version) as free
as it already is.  There's a link somewhere on the KDE web page about
this.

> No, I don't like Gtk that much. Long live Garnet.

Yes, Gtk+ is a hack, but at least it looks nice (visually that is) :)

Yes, Harmony is under way, yes KDE "core team" members are working on it
(or at least one), and yes, I doubt it's going to be able to track the Qt
changes very rapidly.

- alex

| "Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern  |
| technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat." |