Date:      Sun, 8 Jun 2014 13:41:42 +0200
From:      Matthieu Volat <mazhe@alkumuna.eu>
To:        Lev Serebryakov <lev@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Splitting devel/subversion into SEVERAL ports -- how fine-grained do we want to see it?

--Sig_/c1uxkOVr.EDxATSuB/7nsNP

On Sun, 8 Jun 2014 00:16:18 +0400
Lev Serebryakov <lev@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Hello, Ports.
>=20
>  I've learned proper way to split subversion into several ports. Question
> is: how fine-grained should I do this? I want to split it at least  into:
>=20
> (1) devel/subversion-libs    -- base libs, used by all other ports. Optio=
ns
>                                 about SERF, BDB and SASL goes here.
> (2) devel/subversion-client  -- all base tools, like "svn", "svnversion" =
and
>                                 so on, but not "svnserve".
> (3) devel/subversion-server  -- svnserve binary.
> (4) devel/subversion-tools   -- additional tools (option now).
> (5) devel/subversion-apache  -- all mod_dav_svn-related stuff.
> (6) devel/subversion-gnome   -- GNOME KEyRing integration (option now).
> (7) devel/subversion-kde     -- KDE KWallet integration (option now).
> (8) devel/subversion         -- meta-port with options (and real stuff, l=
ike
>                                 patches and all infrastructure).
>=20
> But it is possible to extract more options to separate ports: BDB reposit=
ory
> format, remote access with "svn:" scheme and SERF support ("http:" scheme
> remote access) could be separate ports (and packages), not options! But
> maybe, it is "too much" already?
>=20
> --=20
> // Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev@FreeBSD.org>

Holy...

Is this Debian now? How about 14 packages to have granularity over what sub=
-library needed, and 23 others for each svn* command? And don't forget head=
ers.

An aspect of ports I liked was it followed/respected the upstream packaging=
 mindset, instead of going for artificial repackaging like linux distros. T=
his minigame of cutting other people works in tiny atomics bits so I have t=
o figure what is missing at runtime is tiresome.

If this is a binary/options issue, I'd rather see an effort in providing a =
system able to allow using globally packages with local build when desired =
options differs, and the reverse (build everything except a list of stuff w=
here binary is prefered).

Be more like macports, less like apt.

My 2 cents.

--=20