Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 1997 13:34:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Scary lawsuit

Novadigm sues Marimba and threatens W3C.

http://www.novadigm.com/aB5.htm

The key point, extracted from the above web page, is over a
patent:

  Novadigm's Patent (Number 5,581,764)  "Distributed Computer
  Network Including Hierarchical Resource Information Structure
  and Related Method of Distributing Resources"  describes the
  processes needed to generate from a common reference model a
  unique content configuration for each target end user, and to
  "difference" the "desired state"  configuration with the
  actual-state of the target, yielding highly granular and very
  specific updates to distributed content automatically.

That about describes a fairly long extensive of software
including rdist, sup, cvsup, rsync, ctm and on unix, as well as
similar freely available programs on other platforms.

I'm no lawyer, is it permissable to get a patent on a technology
that has been in the public domain?  I would hope not. The above
patent was issued in December 1996.

-john