Date:      Fri, 8 Jun 2001 04:23:41 +0100
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: emacs under x or console?

| The real problem with console mode is that the window is so small.
| I'm writing this on a window 110x100 in size.  You can't do anything
| like that on a character console, and it limits your view of things.

Interesting.  That makes sense to me.  I had that debate once with some
'hard core' programmer types (the same ones who told me FreeBSD was old
technology) who felt all code should be console friendly, and therefore wrap
at 80 columns or less.  Also, they felt all coding should be done from
console mode because this was the only mode guaranteed to exist on all
boxes, especially those with low resources.  Needless to say, they weren't
emacs fans either.  :-)

I figure if you have an X display, why not use it?

jcm
--
"I drank WHAT ?!" - Socrates